The Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) is set to introduce a new set of animal welfare standards that will make the slaughter of fish “more humane”. The ASC is the world’s leading organization for farmed seafood, and while this victory is a long time in coming and is great news for farmed fish, there is still a long way to go.
Source: Animal Outlook/YouTube
Under the proposed new rules, ASC-certified farmed fish will need to be stunned before they are killed. Today, many fish have come out of the water, causing enormous suffering. Imagine being unable to breathe and being out of breath until you finally die.
Research and studies have proven time and time again that fish are sentient beings, and it’s time for the UK to follow suit and introduce fish welfare standards!
Sign this petition to call on the UK to introduce welfare standards for fish similar to those that protect mammals!
While you’re at it, you can also raise awareness through activism clothing by wearing sustainable brands like small rescue. Check Climate Change Collection!
To keep talking, also sign these other petitions:
Simple ways to help the planet:
- Eat less meat: To download food monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help you reduce your environmental footprint, save animals, and get healthy. You can also purchase a paper or electronic copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce your fast mode footprint: Take the lead by mobilizing against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like small rescue that raise awareness of important issues through zero-waste recycled clothing designed to be returned and remade again and again.
- Support independent media: Public funding gives us a greater chance of continuing to provide you with high quality content. Please consider support us by making a donation!
- Sign a petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals and the planet.
- Stay informed: Keep up to date with the latest news and essential stories about animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do what you can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse things, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote wisely, wash cold, get rid of fossil fuels, save water, buy wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, save energy, compost, and don’t forget the microplastics and microbeads lurking in household products and routine personal care!